RAID Capacity Calculator
|Total usable storage capacity (TB): ||1.00 *|
|RAID type:||RAID-DP (stripe set with double parity and two dedicated parity disks)|
|Number of RAID groups:||2|
|Number of drives per RAID group: ||3|
|Total number of drives:||6|
|Drive capacity (GB):||500|
|Capacity of a single RAID group (GB): ||500|
|Space efficiency:||0.3333 (33.33%)|
|Fault tolerance:||2 disk drives per RAID group|
|Minimum number of drives per RAID-DP group:||3|
|Single drive cost:|
|Cost per TB usable:|
RAID-DP is a double-parity RAID implementation by NetApp. In essence, RAID-DP is RAID 4 with an additional dedicated parity disk storing
so called "diagonal" parity information.
Performance shortcomings of RAID-DP are mitigated by the NetApp proprietary WAFL (Write Anywhere File Layout)
file system. WAFL never overwrites existing disk blocks and stores new data using available free space. In addition,
WAFL optimizes disk write operations by caching and aggregating incoming write requests in NVRAM first, and then writing data
to disks in full stripes.
* Storage reserved for WAFL operations reduces usable capacity provided by the underlying RAID group(s).
For more details see NetApp Usable Space Calculator.
Note: 1 TB = 1000 GB and
1 TiB = 1024 GiB
This RAID calculator computes storage system characteristics based on the provided RAID level, number of disk drives, and drive capacity.
Supported RAID levels are:
- RAID 0 (block-level striping without parity or mirroring);
- RAID 1 (mirroring without parity or striping);
- RAID 1E (mirroring with striping);
- 3-Way Mirror or
Triple Mirror (mirroring without parity or striping);
- RAID 3 (byte-level striping with a dedicated parity disk);
- RAID 4 (block-level striping with a dedicated parity disk);
- RAID 5 (block-level striping with distributed parity);
- RAID 5E (RAID 5 Enhanced) and
RAID 5EE (RAID 5E Enhanced) (block-level striping with distributed parity and integrated active distributed hot-spare);
- RAID 6 (block-level striping with double distributed parity);
- RAID 10 (1+0) (striped mirrors - a combination of multiple RAID 1 groups with RAID 0);
- RAID 50 (combination of multiple RAID 5 groups with RAID 0);
- RAID 60 (combination of multiple RAID 6 groups with RAID 0);
- RAID-DP (stripe set with double parity and two dedicated parity disks);
- RAID-Z1 (single parity with variable stripe width);
- RAID-Z2 (double parity with variable stripe width);
- RAID-Z3 (triple parity with variable stripe width).
File / Disk Size Converter